Monday , February 27 2017

Islamic State claims responsibility for Istanbul attack – statement

Islamic State claims responsibility for Istanbul attack - statement

ISTANBUL: Islamic State claimed responsibility for a gun attack on an Istanbul nightclub which killed 39 people on Sunday, the group said in a statement on Monday.

“In continuation of the blessed operations that Islamic State is conducting against the protector of the cross, Turkey, a heroic soldier of the caliphate struck one of the most famous nightclubs where the Christians celebrate their apostate holiday,” the statement said.

Some people jumped into the Bosphorus to save themselves after the attacker began shooting at random in the Reina nightclub just over an hour into the new year. Witnesses described diving under tables as the assailant walked around spraying bullets from an automatic rifle.

The attack shook NATO member Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.

Security services had been on alert across Europe for new year celebrations following an attack on a Christmas market in Berlin that killed 12 people. Only days ago, an online message from a pro-Islamic State group called for attacks by “lone wolves” on “celebrations, gatherings and clubs”.

Check Also

Police launch operation near Karachi Central Jail

Police launch operation near Karachi Central Jail

KARACHI: Police on Thursday launched a ‘combing operation’ in Ghosia Colony adjacent to the Central …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *